Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Kudos to Hunter Books, Burnham, Buckinghamshire, U.K.


My latest Sir Walter Scott foray, Rob Roy, prompted me to request through inter library loan A.N. Wilson’s The Laird of Abbotsford: A View of Sir Walter Scott. The book was recommended by Alan Massie in his introduction to the Folio Society edition of Rob Roy, as the best modern introduction to Scott. I was so pleased with it that I wanted a copy of my own.

It is out-of-print, and I could only find one hardback copy in the U.S., though it sounded like a great one, even including Wilson’s autograph. When I checked with the bookseller, though, the copy had already been sold. After my initial disappointment it dawned on me to check UK booksellers, Wilson being a UK citizen. Lo and behold, plentiful copies in excellent condition. I sent an email to Hunter Books, and received a prompt reply that the book was in stock. Even with shipping, the book was less expensive than the U.S. copy. I placed my order through Advanced Book Exchange (where I had located the copy) and was notified that shipping could take up to eight weeks.

I was surprised and delighted to receive the book, carefully packed and in “like new” condition, only ten days later! The dust jacket even had a protective cover. It also has the mildly exotic UK currency on the dust jacket (£8.95 net). Always a fun thing.

Hunter Books is operated by Andrew Ray. I’m not sure if he has a retail storefront. At any rate, I couldn’t find mention of one. But I did find this Wikipedia entry for Burnham, Buckinghamshire, which included some links to local websites with pictures of the area.

This was the first book I have ordered from a UK bookseller, but it won’t be the last.

No comments: