Monday, December 31, 2007

Discovering Cathy Johnson

Elly told me yesterday that John Hamann, the Nelson Atkins Museum Store’s wonderful book buyer, has added some more watercolor books to their inventory and she thought one would be of particular interest to me. And she was right, of course. I fell in love with Cathy Johnson's Creating Nature in Watercolor: An Artist’s Guide the moment I opened it. I was even more charmed to find one of the demonstration exercises is a painting of the river overlook at Weston Bend State Park, which is just north of Kansas City and a park Elly and I frequently visit. It turns out Cathy lives in Excelsior Springs, Missouri, which is not far from Kansas City. Cathy has a wonderful website, a link to which I have added to my Flora and Fauna list.

I took up watercolor painting this year and have checked out some books from the library, and purchased a few others. It dawned on me I have one of Cathy’s books checked out, Painting Watercolors, a North Light Books First Step Series title, and I also own The Sierra Club Guide to Painting in Nature, which is another of her books. She also offers online classes, which is something I plan to look into. Cathy has a fresh and frank approach to art instruction that is friendly and easy-to-understand. She has published many books. I was thrilled to learn she is a fellow Missourian.

No comments: